Email MeDavid T. Podein
866-913-2066 (Toll Free)
David Podein has been an associate with the firm since 2009, concentrating his practice in the areas of complex commercial litigation, real estate and construction, real estate development disputes, condominium and community association law, business and commercial litigation, bankruptcy litigation, and creditors' rights and reorganizations. Mr. Podein received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Michigan in 2005, and his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Miami School of Law in 2008.
Additionally, a substantial portion of Mr. Podein' s practice involves representation of real estate developers, investors, joint ventures, lenders, servicers, and landlords in connection with real estate related transactions, including commercial and shopping center leasing, landlord tenant negotiations, long-term ground leases and development agreements, distressed asset based transactions, and loan work outs and restructurings. Mr. Podein also serves as outside general counsel to companies located in South Florida.
Mr. Podein's experience in both litigation and transactional matters enables him to offer a broad and practical perspective to his clients.
• Real Estate Development and Commercial Leasing. Lead counsel representing Florida based developer in negotiation and documentation of $40 million dollar ground lease and construction/development agreement with one of the largest global companies as the anchor tenant.
• Commercial Leasing. Lead counsel representing Florida based Landlord in drafting and documentation of master commercial tenant lease for use in shopping center plaza. Lead counsel representing Florida based Landlord in numerous landlord tenant disputes -- negotiate and document numerous lease addendums, assignments, forbearance agreements and other financial work-out packages.
• Construction Law / Condominium General counsel. Lead associate representing multiple high-end condominium associations in South Florida. Negotiate and document construction contracts with general contractors, sub-contractors and project managers and manage all legal affairs of over $10 Million worth of construction and repair projects on behalf of Association clients. Negotiate and document uniform lease addendums, restrictions and Association rights for Associations.
• General counsel to numerous high-end condominium associations in South Florida with property values in execess of One Billion Dollars. Manage and coordinate legal issues with the Board of Directors, advise and conduct Board meetings, corporate resolutions, amendments to governing documents. Negotiation and documentation of numerous vendor agreements for Association. Review and advise Board of Directors on enforcement of governing documents (Declaration, Covenants, Articles of Incorporation and Rules and Regulations), implementation of legal policies and memorandums on same.
• Commercial Real Estate / Finance / Litigation. Lead associate representing National loan servicer in one of the largest commercial property foreclosures in Florida.
• Licensing. Lead outside general counsel for consumer products licensing company based in Miami. Lead counsel for the company in negotiation and documentation of products licensing agreements with the National Basketball Association and the Major Lease Baseball Players' Association, and negotiation and drafting of professional player endorsement and licensing agreements.
• Transactional. Lead counsel representing apparel design, marketing and manufacturing company in two sale transactions to purchasers of company's private label apparel lines - -including the transfer of intellectual property rights.
• Transactional. Lead associate representing real estate investor in acquisition of majority interest in development investment entity and negotiate and document amendments to company's shareholders agreement and equity re-structuring after sale transaction.
Miami Herald - David Podein participates in the 170 mile Dolphins Cycling Challenge
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate Transactions
- Leasing – Landlord / Tenant Disputes
- Complex Commercial and Business Litigation
- Community Association / HOA Law
- Construction Law / Construction Defect Litigation
- Contract Negotiation and Preparation
- Business Law; Outside General Counsel
- Bankruptcy Litigation / Chapter 11 Proceedings
- Creditors’ Rights
- Fraud and Deceit
- Mortgage Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Business Organizations
- Florida, 2009
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 2010
- University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida
- J.D. cum laude - 2008
- Honors: Dean's Merit Scholarship 2005-2008
- Honors: Semi-Finalist Moot Court Board Mock Trial Competition
- Honors: Who's Who Among American Law Students 2008
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- B.A. - 2005
- Honors: NSCS Honor Society, Phi Sigma Theta National Honor Society
- Major: Political Science
- Older Floridians Handbook, Executive Editor
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Miami-Dade County Bar Association, Member
- University of Miami School of Law Young Alumni Committee, Member
- Always Keep Pedaling Foundation, Board of Directors
- First Descents, Alumni Advisory Board